Every music student is unique. They have distinct goals and aspirations. They learn in different ways. They like to listen to and explore music that speaks specifically to them. One of my primary goals as a teacher is to provide a unique learning experience tailored to my student’s aspirations.
My teaching style incorporates proven classical technique with modern technology and teaching methods. Students will learn the basic foundations of piano or voice through exploring classical repertoire, jazz, blues and popular music. Most importantly – my teaching philosophy focuses on making music fun to learn!
My education includes a Bachelor of Music degree in Vocal Performance from Westminster College and a Master of Music in Music History and Literature from Youngstown State University. My master’s thesis can be found on OhioLINK ETD: The Romantic Pilgrim: Narrative Structure in Samuel Barber’s Hermit Songs.
I’ve been teaching piano and voice lessons for the past 17 years. (Whaaat?! How does time fly so quickly?)
Sara’s Music Studio opened in 2010 in West Middlesex, PA. In addition to providing private lessons throughout the year, each summer the studio offers numerous workshops for piano and voice students. See the Lessons or Summer Workshops pages for more information.
Outside of the Studio
I’ve served as a part-time faculty member at Youngstown State University and a musicology guest lecturer on the Semester at Sea Enrichment Voyages through the University of Virginia. In April of 2015, she joined composers and authors Jennifer Eklund, Kristin Yost, and Debbie Center as a workshop leader through the Piano Bench Mag’s Creatives on the Sea Cruise. In 2017 and 2018, I served as the Resident Piano Pro at Musical U.
My latest endeavors include business coaching for music teachers, co-hosting with Tracy Selle at Upbeat Piano Teachers, and working with Michelle Markwart Deveaux at The Speakeasy Cooperative, a group for independent voice teachers.
Current & Recent Projects:
- September 2018: Laser Coaching at The Speakeasy Cooperative
- August 2018: Inner Circle Expert at TimTompham.com
- August 2018: Teaching Online Lessons at Upbeat Piano Teachers
- August 2018: Musical U Podcast, Episode 101, Episode 103, Episode 107, and Episode 109
- July 2018: Upbeat Planning Academy
- Feb / Mar / May 2018: Online Lesson Academy at Upbeat Piano Teachers
- July 2017: Upbeat Planning Academy
- April 2017: Musical U Resident Pro for Piano
- Summer 2017: Friday Five Live series on FB
- May 2017 article for The Piano Bench Mag – “A Piano Teacher’s Guide to Transfer Teens”
- Spring 2017 Engaging with Teens and Playing with Preschoolers with Tracy Selle at Upbeat Piano Teachers
- January 2017 article for Clavier Companion about the Simply Piano App
- October 2016 cover page article for The Piano Bench Mag – “Look for the Silver Lining”
- March 2016 feature with Tracy Selle in The Piano Bench Mag
- March 2015 cover page article for The Piano Bench Mag – “Summer Workshop Myth Busters”
- Full Voice Podcast Episode #23: Favourite Vocal Warm-Ups
- Tim Topham Podcast Episode #39: Fun Piano Camp Themes with Tracy & Sara
- Full Voice Podcast Episode #15: Vocal Workshops: Interview with Sara Campbell
- Group Lessons 101 at Upbeat Piano Teachers
Sara is an active blogger at SaraMusicStudio.com, where she offers resources to piano and voice teachers and students. She also runs the Voice Teachers Community, an online forum which encourages discussion amongst voice teachers and coaches.
Sara received numerous music awards throughout her undergraduate and graduate work, including awards from the Tuesday Music Club, Opus I Music Society, and the National Association of Teaching Singing (NATS). She is also a 2014 ATHENA International Honoree for Young Professional Leadership, and a Paul Harris Fellow through Rotary International.
For a more complete resume, email email@example.com
I’m always looking for music or games to feature. If you have any suggestions for games, activities, or repertoire books you would like me to feature, feel free to contact me!