Every music student is unique. They have distinct goals and aspirations. They learn in different ways. They like to listen to and explore music that speaks specifically to them. One of my primary goals as a teacher is to provide a unique learning experience tailored to my student’s aspirations.
My teaching style incorporates proven a variety of “old” techniques with “new” technology and teaching methods. Students will learn the foundations of piano or voice through exploring classical repertoire, jazz, blues, musical theatre, and popular music. Most importantly – my teaching philosophy focuses on making music enjoyable to learn!
Because if it’s not fun… why do it?
As a kid, music was my life. Yeah, I was that girl with the fermata t-shirt that says “hold me” on the back. (Okay, not really… but I totally would have worn that t-shirt. And if you don’t know what it means, just ask a chorus or band kid.) I’ve been playing piano since I was 5 years old and singing since… well, forever. When I went to college, there was no question in my mind that I was bound for New York City to be a star on Broadway.
(And then I realized that I didn’t really want to live in the city. Ahem.)
So I found a beautiful liberal arts college nestled in the hills of Amish country instead.
My formal education includes a Bachelor of Music degree in Vocal Performance from Westminster College and a Master of Music in Music History and Literature from Youngstown State University. If you love 20th century music, 11th century Irish poetry, and want to waste a few hours of your life, check out my master’s thesis about The Romantic Pilgrim: Narrative Structure in Samuel Barber’s Hermit Songs.
When somebody told me that I’d “never make a living as an independent music teacher,” I took it as a challenge that led to Sara’s Music Studio opening in 2010 in West Middlesex, PA. In addition to providing private lessons throughout the year, each summer the studio offers numerous workshops for piano and voice students. See the Lessons page for more information.
I’ve been teaching piano and voice lessons for the past 17 years. (Whaaat?! How does time fly so quickly?)
Outside of the Studio
I’ve served as a part-time faculty member at Youngstown State University and a musicology guest lecturer on the Semester at Sea Enrichment Voyages through the University of Virginia. In April of 2015, she joined composers and authors Jennifer Eklund, Kristin Yost, and Debbie Center as a workshop leader through the Piano Bench Mag’s Creatives on the Sea Cruise. From 2015 – 2018 I worked with Upbeat Piano Teachers, and in 2017 and 2018, I served as the Resident Piano Pro at Musical U.
My latest endeavors include business coaching for music business owners, working with Michelle Markwart Deveaux as a coach for The Speakeasy Cooperative, a group for independent voice teachers, and working with Molly Mahoney as FB Live Coach at The Prepared Performer.
Current & Recent Projects:
- July 2019: How to Run Your Studio Without Hating Your Boss group coach at The Speakeasy Cooperative
- June 2019: Ran a Biz Branding Masterclass through Sara Campbell – Biz Coach.
- June 2019: Joined The Prepared Performer as a FB Live Coach
- November 2018: Technology 2.0 at Upbeat Piano Teachers
- September 2018: Laser Coaching at The Speakeasy Cooperative
- August 2018: Inner Circle Expert at TimTompham.com
- August 2018: Teaching Online Lessons at Upbeat Piano Teachers
- August 2018: Musical U Podcast, Episode 101, Episode 103, Episode 107, and Episode 109
- July 2018: Upbeat Planning Academy
- Feb / Mar / May 2018: Online Lesson Academy at Upbeat Piano Teachers
- July 2017: Upbeat Planning Academy
- April 2017: Musical U Resident Pro for Piano
- Summer 2017: Friday Five Live series on FB
- May 2017 article for The Piano Bench Mag – “A Piano Teacher’s Guide to Transfer Teens”
- Spring 2017 Engaging with Teens and Playing with Preschoolers with Tracy Selle at Upbeat Piano Teachers
- January 2017 article for Clavier Companion about the Simply Piano App
- October 2016 cover page article for The Piano Bench Mag – “Look for the Silver Lining”
- March 2016 feature with Tracy Selle in The Piano Bench Mag
- March 2015 cover page article for The Piano Bench Mag – “Summer Workshop Myth Busters”
- Full Voice Podcast Episode #23: Favourite Vocal Warm-Ups
- Tim Topham Podcast Episode #39: Fun Piano Camp Themes with Tracy & Sara
- Full Voice Podcast Episode #15: Vocal Workshops: Interview with Sara Campbell
- Group Lessons 101 at Upbeat Piano Teachers
- January 2014: Established The Voice Teachers Community
- January 2014: Started blogging at SaraMusicStudio.com,