Free Minor Pentatonic Blues Scale Chart

Free Minor Pentatonic Blues Scale Chart

Here’s a little something that I’ve been working with in the studio this week! I have quite a few students who are fans of playing the blues. Since our weather has been so “blue” up here, I thought it might be fun to work on our improv skills with minor pentatonic blues scales.

This is also a great way to jazz up a student’s scale warm-ups. Switch out the regular two-octave major/minor scales for a minor pentatonic blues scale. Have them “swing it” up and down the piano. For more advanced students, have them play a 12 or 16-bar blues form underneath.

Even beginner piano students can have fun practicing blues improv – just have them stick to the black keys while you improv on Eā™­ minor pentatonic blues. It doesn’t take up too much lesson time, and students will be really proud of the music that they can make!

Voice Student Challenge: Have your singers practice blues vocalises as a warm-up!

For the full PDF chart, click here to download: Minor Pentatonic Blues Chart. You can also click on the image below and use it in PNG format.

MinorPentatonicBluesChartSMS2014

Do you play around with the blues in your studio? I’m always look for new ideas.

Please share your blues improv ideas and/or your favorite blues piano pieces in the comments below!

Happy Friday, everyone!

(Visited 6,759 times, 1 visits today)
Be Our Guest! Creative Visuals in Piano and Voice Lessons
Why Are You Taking Voice Lessons?

• by kristinsmusicstudio Posted January 31, 2014 5:55 pm

Reblogged this on Small Town Music Lessons and commented:
    Wonderfully visual guide for blues! šŸ™‚

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted January 31, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks Kristin! I glad you liked it. šŸ™‚ I hope your students find it useful!

• Trackback: Be Our Guest! Creative Visuals in Piano and Voice Lessons | Foxx Piano Studio Resources
  • by Lynda Irvine Posted February 1, 2014 5:56 pm

I have yet to find a favourite for basic blues form, I do like Blues river for the second piece I teach in blues form because of its chord alteration. Any suggestions for a basic blues piece?

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted February 3, 2014 9:24 am

The Jazz, Rags, and Blues series by Martha Mier are a good place to start if you’re looking for sheet music. Otherwise, I normally stick with blues improv to teach 12 or 16 bar blues.

• Trackback: Minor Pentatonic Blues Worksheet | Sara's Music Studio
  • Trackback: Music Review: Scales, Patterns, and Improvs – Book 1 | Sara's Music Studio
  • by Metal Slug Defense Hack Android Posted August 9, 2014 4:58 pm

You actually make it appear so easy together with
    your presentation but I to find this matter to be really one thing that I feel I would by no means understand.
    It seems too complex and extremely wide for me. I’m taking a look ahead for your next submit, I will attempt to get the cling of it!

• by jasonshira Posted April 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Thank you so much for the info, teachers who share their knowledge are like the arch angels of the universe. Supa Nova

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted April 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Whoa! That just made my day – thanks, Jason!