Rhythm Cup Incentive Program

Rhythm Cup Incentive Program

If you jumped on the Rhythm Cup Explorations train a couple of weeks ago, your entire studio is probably having a great time practicing the exercises during their lessons. We’re only a couple of weeks away from our spring recital, and Rhythm Cup gives us a great way to tighten up difficult rhythms while having fun in the process.

Since spring is finally here, I thought it might be nice to have one more incentive program before the summer. We needed something with a little color, and something that was related to Rhythm Cup Explorations. Here’s the “Rhythm Cup Incentive Program” I whipped together last week!

Rhythm Cup Decorations

Just setting up!

There are five colors of the small cups: purple, green, yellow, blue, and pink. We’ll be using these as a communal incentive for the studio – for each exercise that a student passes, he/she can put a flower sticker inside any cup. As the studio progresses, we’ll get a beautiful display of spring flowers! (Note: I’m counting an “exercise” as a single line of rhythm.)

20140418_180625

Rhythm Cup Incentive Program

As an individual incentive, each time a student passes an entire Unit, they can sign their name in one of the big cups, and join the “Cup Club.” I tried to match the colors up to the levels Wendy created, but since I used a pastel palette, things are a little bit different. Blue = Quarter Notes, Green = Eighth Notes, Yellow = Triplets, and Pink = Sixteenth Notes.

Rhythm Cup Decorations 2

Cup Club!

You can download these cup images for FREE PDF by clicking here: Rhythm Cup Incentive Program. (Be sure to **SAVE** the file and open with Adobe for it to print properly.) You can tailor this incentive program to your liking – use different stickers, let students have their own cups, or let them take their cups home in an assignment book. The possibilities are endless!

If you’re interested in the flower stickers I posted, you can find them here: Colorful Flower Stickers Rolls. They come with three rolls of 100 stickers – $8 for 300 big stickers. Not a bad deal! You could also find some really nice stickers at craft supply or teaching stores if you’re lucky enough to have some good ones in your area. This could also be really cute with Sparkly Music Note Stickers, although these are quite a bit more expensive to use.

What kind of spring incentive programs are you using this year? Please share in the comments below!

Stay TunedBe sure to SUBSCRIBE to the blog for future updates!

We Love to Share Music Ideas – Follow us on Facebook and Pinterest!

Wordless Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday

• by Shirley Gustine Posted April 21, 2014 11:09 pm

Will you have awards or just the stickers to designate levels accomplished?

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted April 22, 2014 9:42 am

There will be some small awards at the end of those who participated – pencils, erasers, and the like.

• by Bridey @ Pianosaurus Rex Posted May 1, 2014 12:17 am

This is such a great idea! Spring is a few months away here (winter is coming for us in the Southern Hemisphere) but it would be so easy to use different themed stickers instead.

And please post a photo of the display once you’ve finished the incentive, I’d love to see it!

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted May 1, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks Bridey! It could be cute to gather snowflakes or fall leaves 🙂 I posted an update with pictures this morning!

• Trackback: Rhythm Cup Garden Update | Sara's Music Studio
  • Trackback: Summer Scheduling | Sara's Music Studio
  • by Edward Thomas Magicthighs Motter-Vlahakos Posted August 2, 2014 3:04 pm

What an outstanding suggestion! Perhaps its a professional hazard of the music instructor to be constantly faced with a certain number of unprepared pupils, however i’m assuming there are just as many offenders in math and language tutoring as well. I’m constantly looking around for new ways of motivating my students to actually practice, and there are probably as many different incentives as there are students, from chocolate, praise, and prizes on the positive side to frowny faces, and disappointment on the negative. One trick i’ve developed, I use a “Sonic Screwdriver” prop from the British science fiction program “Doctor Who” to analyze the sonic properties of the students instrument after i’ve had them perform the chosen piece, and after the gizmo lights up, flashes, and makes some exciting spacey whirring noises I “read” the number of minutes they practiced since the last lesson. Sure, its a gimmick, and a few of my (teenage) pupils are rightfully dubious, but most of them are amazed that I can get such an accurate measurement of their discipline. Of course, its my evaluation of their performance that informs me, rather than some technological marvel, but whether they realize that or not its a fun way of assessing a weekly practice regimen. I’m going to start implementing your suggestions at http://www.nassaubaymusiclessons.com from now on, the more weapons we have in our motivational arsenal the better!

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted August 2, 2014 3:14 pm

That’s a fun way to interpret a student’s practice – and probably a lot less stressful than the typical “How much did you practice this week?” question that teachers might ask during a lesson. Thanks for the tip!

• by Kim Oien Posted January 26, 2018 7:46 pm

I plan on using Nicola canton’s BullsEye challenge with 3 targeted specific challenges each week for them to practice, hopefully to get some of the kids who only play straight through their music to really thinking about and working on specific details of their song. I made a big chart for the wall to track everyone’s progress as well as their individual charts that Nicola provided. Prizes for everyone who gets their 30 Bull’sEyes, and certificates for everyone who participates. This is my 2nd year trying a challenge. It was well received last year and I hope this year will be even better!

• by Sara Campbell Posted January 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Sounds like a really wonderful challenge, Kim! Big charts on the wall are always a hit in my studio too 🙂 Good luck with your incentive!