Valentine’s Day Circle of Fifths Challenge

Here’s something a Valentine’s Day activity that’s little more challenging for intermediate and advanced piano and theory students. Have them race against a clock to complete the Circle of Fifths Challenge.

There are three levels to the game. Level 1 has blank key centers, major and minor. Level 2 adds blank treble clef key signatures, and Level 3 has blank bass clef signatures. You can easily use Level 1 as a great teaching tool as well.

Download the PDF file by clicking on this link: Circle of Fifths Valentine’s Day Challenge

If you haven’t already checked out our Valentine’s Day Music Cookie Memory game, click on the image below!

Valentine's Day Music Cookie Memory

If you think of any other creative ways to use this chart, please share in the comments below! We’re always looking for new ways to use our games in the studio.

Wordless Wednesday
Henrietta Says Hello

• by Rhonda H Posted February 10, 2014 9:49 am

Sara, thank you for including instructions with the print out! It’s so helpful!!!

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted February 10, 2014 9:52 am

You’re welcome, Rhonda. When you have so many games/activities in the studio, it’s nice to have a reminder about the uses/directions. (I know I’ve forgotten game rules in the past!)

• by 88pianokeys Posted February 10, 2014 11:58 am

Hi Sara. Currently I’m focusing on circle of keys with all levels and ages so your leveling ideas are perfect. As I prefer not to print out worksheets I use them on my iPad with the Notability app. Thanks for sharing!

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted February 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Thanks! That’s a great idea to use it on your iPad. Does that app allow you to write on any kind of file? Or does it have to be a specific file type?

• by 88pianokeys Posted February 10, 2014 12:58 pm

I usually import Pdf’s but here’s what their website says:

Import forms, contracts, worksheets, documents, presentations, and even books; then use the same tools that help you take beautiful notes in Notability to mark up PDFs. Do you have files in other formats such as doc or ppt? Notability can import these too thanks to Google Drive.

If you have jpeg files I LOVE to use the Multi-touch Whiteboard app.

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted February 10, 2014 1:20 pm

I’ll keep that in mind for future resources. It would be helpful to have different formats for those who like to use iPads or other tablets. Thanks so much for the information!

• Trackback: Happy Valentine’s Day! | Sara's Music Studio
  • by Edward Thomas Magicthighs Motter-Vlahakos Posted June 9, 2014 11:17 pm

Wow, what a great idea, i’m going to modify this a bit (as Valentines has already passed) and try using this exercise with some of my more adventurous students over at http://www.nassaubaymusiclessons.com thanks a bunch!

• by Sara @ Sara’s Music Studio Posted June 9, 2014 11:22 pm

Glad you liked it, Edward. I hope you and your students find it useful!