3 Teaching Tips for Summer Camp Planning
It’s that time again.
I know it’s not even officially spring yet, but March is the month when I normally start planning my summer camps. If you’re thinking about running summer camps this year, and if you’re feeling a little bit nervous, don’t worry! I’ve got 3 Easy Tips for you!
3 Easy Teaching Tips:
First and foremost: Don’t get overwhelmed. I know that planning a camp can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! Break it down into steps and just do a little bit at a time. Here are 3 simple steps that you can take to start planning your summer camp:
- Figure out the days/times of your camp. This is the hardest step, I know! You won’t be able to please everyone, just try to find something that’s convenient to you and your most enthusiastic students. See this post for more advice about this tricky step.
- Pick a fun theme. You can make camps about tons of things: Olympics, world music, movies, popular games… go with something that will get your students excited to join. Check out this page for ideas I’ve used in the past.
- Make an exciting flyer to hang in your studio. If you can, get it printed professionally at Staples or your local copy shop. (Go big and colorful!) Be sure to send home flyers with parents too — and remember, this is just your first announcement.
Looking for another easy way to get started this summer? My Music Blast Camp Plans are available for purchase and instant download. I’ve done all the planning for you! No more worrying about what activities to use, how to advertise, email templates, etc. It’s all included!
Camp Plans Include:
- Advertising materials
- Editable registration form
- Blank Music Blast Poster (add your details on Canva.com)
- Material checklist
- Sample letters to parents
- Detailed day-by-day schedule
- Weekly “At a Glance” schedule
- Detailed DIY instructions for games
- Zip file of 6 PDFs and images
What Teachers & Students are Saying
About Music Blast Camp:
“I did this camp last year and the kids seriously had a blast. They’ve talked about it all year and can’t wait for this year’s camp!”
– Tammy Prenot, California
“Music Blast Camp was so easy to use! Having the lessons laid out with suggested times really helped in my planning. The checklists also made planning easy. The water activities were the “bomb” for my students. It was heaps of fun and I plan on making this a yearly camp in my studio.”
– Stephanie Hawkins, Kansas
“Sara’s Music Blast summer camp was incredible! My 8-12 year old students all attended and had so much fun. The plans are simple and easy to follow, and every detail is covered right down to the best places to buy your materials, how to make your own, and even tips and tricks to save money along the way. Sara was also gracious enough to answer any questions I had while planning it. I don’t know who was more excited about this; myself or my students. This is the best outdoor summer camp you’ll ever have!”
– Nicole Colledge Cornaby, Utah
Ready to start planning? You can purchase Music Blast in my Store. The materials will be delivered instantly to your inbox!